Saturday, February 9, 2013

High FSH = Premature Ovarian Failure

When I had my blood drawn my original FSH came back as 114, the doctor thought maybe it was a false reading so I went back in and had my blood drawn again on 2/11/13 and that level came back as 104.  Below is a chart of what normal FSH ranges are:

PhaseLevel
Premenarchal0 -- 4.0 mIU/ml
Through Puberty0.3 -- 10.0 mIU/ml
Menstrual4.7 -- 21.5 mIU/ml
PerimenopausalHigher than 30 mIU/ml
MenopausalHigher than 50 mIU/ml
Postmenopausal30 -- 134.8 mIU/ml

So, what I was being told was that I am 29 years old and have postmenopausal levels.  Who even knew that could happen, it for sure wasn't me!

The first thing we do in today's day and age when finding out about something that we know nothing about is to Google it! My husband is the master of all googling, he can always find things that take me hours to find. He is a big researcher on anything that he is doing, purchasing, etc.  He was able to find a forum called fertile thoughts.  This forum has so many stories on specific diagnosis.  It helped us to understand what all the acronyms are with infertility and a slew of hormone levels.

The doctor also had me come back in to get additional blood drawn for a "Fragile X" test as a pre requisite in order to go to the Fertility Clinic in Tulsa.  This test was taken on 2/14/13.  The results came back as negative - meaning the reason for my POF was not Fragile X.

On 2/15/13 we were officially referred to Tulsa Fertility Center to set up our appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment