Thursday, June 13, 2013

Second (Or Third) Opinion

We had decided after our appointment at the first fertility clinic that we would get a second (or third if you count the regular doctor) opinion.  We went the same week that I started taking all of my herbs and supplements.

6/13/2013 - Arkansas Fertility

The area that we live in does not have reproductive endocrinologists.  The first place we went was a couple hours away.  Our trip to Little Rock for this appointment was about 3 1/2 hours away.

Dr M welcomed us in to his office.  Right off the bat I had a good feeling about him.  We told him that we really wanted some one to explain to us what the diagnosis was and what our options were instead of being told what we had to do.

He reviewed my previous hormone tests with us:

  • Testosterone - a little high
  • LH - 42 which is high
  • FSH - very high (I already knew this one!)
  • Estrogen - 14 - low
  • Calcium - little high - one point above normal (this is good)
He told us that I definitely have Premature Ovarian Failure which is now being called Primary Ovarian Insufficiency (POI).

  • 4 - 6% of women have spontaneous pregnancy, they have no idea how this happens

He requested that I definitely keep taking DHEA - 75mg daily because it has proven results

One of the things that I am at risk for with this diagnosis is osteoporosis.  Most women go on HRT (hormone replacement therapy) but he suggested I don't have to do this at this time.  I should have my hormones levels drawn yearly.

  • Thyroid, diabetes and parathyroid (metabolics profile)
  • Should have bone density test completed within a year - request dexascan - if it is decreasing then I need to start HRT right away

If I have a period on my own then I should go get my progesterone tested 3 weeks from the start of my cycle to check for ovulation.

My chances on IVF are 5% which is not large enough for them to consider doing based on my body not having very many eggs.

Egg donor treatments are $20,000 a try and there is about a 70% chance of pregnancy.

After meeting with Dr M and getting all of this information we definitely felt like the natural way that we had chosen was the way to go.  It just feels right and much less invasive.  We decided that day that we would do everything in our power to do this the natural way, and if it doesn't work then we know that we have tried and would be able to move on to foster/adoption or whatever our hearts lead us to do. 

I do have to say after meeting with Dr M I was much more at peace.  The appointment in Tulsa gave me nothing but anxiety.  Dr M had wonderful bed side manner and actually took a complete hour to speak with us.  As I have found out the hard way, most doctors won't give you that kind of time.

I do suppose the saying "time heals all wounds" helped at this appointment too.  The diagnosis wasn't as fresh as it had been the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment