Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Acupuncture and Barnes Thyroid Test

I had an acupuncture appointment today.  A few weeks ago I had found an article on a page in a group that I am part of that had an article about a girl with POF and different acupuncture points that were used for 9 months and she was able to get her period back.

Dr L had reviewed this and had some questions to ask.  First, she gave me a piece of paper with 4 different options.  She asked me to choose which one best fit my symptoms.  As I was looking through them none of them had a lot of my symptoms.  As I have gone through this whole journey and with everything I have read most people with POF have a lot more menopausal symptoms.  I do not, just an absence of my menstrual cycle.

We discussed this and I chose the best option. She then took a look at my tongue, it looked healthy.  I asked her about this and she said you can tell a lot by a person's tongue.  So, I am glad mine looked healthy.

She also did some different points.  I was a little nervous because the first ones were in my back. She put them in at an angle and then I laid down on my back so she could put all the other needles in the points on the front of my body.  Strangely enough I didn't feel the needles in my back while I was laying on it.

We also discussed my thyroid.  On all of my blood tests from the beginning of the year this level came back regular.  My TSH level came back as 1.28 - completely normal range.  She asked if I would be willing to take my temperature each day.  I already do this with a digital thermometer in my mouth to see if I am ovulating or not.  She explained that this was a throw a way thermometer that you place under your armpit and take it before you get out of bed or do anything in the morning.  I agreed.  I mean who wouldn't want to take their temperature by mouth and under your armpit at the same time each morning before getting out of bed before you are really awake?!

I brought home the test and will take it for 10 days in a row.  My average temperature for those 10 days should be 97.8 or above.  If it is below then more than likely my thyroid is abnormal.  This would explain the 30 lbs that I have gained since all of this has started.  And no matter what I do I can't seem to get it off.

My homework is also to take a look at my pills that I currently take to see if any of them have iodine or kelp in them.  Dr L says this is a natural way to get the thyroid to even back out.

The thermometer is called Tempa-DOT, it is a single use thermometer that I will use each morning and throw away.  The kit came with 10 strips.


No comments:

Post a Comment