Monday, December 2, 2013

Acupuncture - Auricular Acupuncture Therapy

I had an acupuncture appointment today.  My acupuncturist did the normal points and then she also did the points in my ears again.  We did this previously in July and August. 

This is a picture of what the needles look like while they are in my ear. (Note: this is not my actual ear, just a picture off the internet)  I never knew how hard it was to take a picture of your own ear!
















The ear is also known as an inverted fetus concept - meaning if you look at someone's ear upside down it looks like a fetus.  There are known points in the ear that have effects on the reproductive system.

Auricular acupuncture is a treatment system based on normalizing the body's pain and dysfunction through stimulation of points on the ear. 


This involves needling points in the ear that correspond to different organ systems in the body. The ear points can be needled with conventional needles, sometimes, small seeds or specialized "press" needles are used.
The usual selected auricular points for fertility treatment are:

  1. Kidneys
  2. Uterus
  3. Liver
  4. Spleen
  5. Ovary
  6. Endocrine System 
Each time three to five points are selected and strong stimulation is applied on them.

Here is a diagram of the different points.























After I was finished with the needle part she attached the "press" needles that are left on those pressure points until they fall off, or they will hopefully stay on until I go back in two weeks.  Here is a picture of what my ears look like with them on.  I call them my earrings!
























When I had these over the summer they didn't last the two weeks, I think that was mostly due to swimming.  So hopefully they will stay on longer this time. 

They don't hurt at all, just a little awkward at times.  The needles that go in to my ears during acupuncture hurt a little more than most of the needles.  I think this is due to not having that many soft spots on your ears, especially at the top.  But, it only stings a little going in and then I can't feel them.  

It is always nice to get a nap in at lunch too!


No comments:

Post a Comment